Sep 6, 2009

OH Lakewood Church

To be clear, I don't go to church. I go when my boyfriend wants to, which is not often or when his parents are in town. And, you guessed it, his parents are in town. No problem, I don't mind going. Church isn't my thing most of the time. I believe in God but church freaks me out a little. I just don't feel the same way other people do...jumping around, hands in the airs, saying, "Yes, Jesus" 30 or more times. I don't get that feeling. I like the singing and if the sermon is good, I'm always up for a lesson in life. But Lakewood Church is a bit over dramatic for me. I called bullshit when Joel Osteen started crying. I wanted to laugh but I was surrounded by Osteenites who hang on his every word. I'm not saying I didn't somewhat enjoy going. The message was broad, it was clear, entertaining. But I only heard 2 bible verses the entire time. No one had their bible open, which is something I'm not used to. I've been told by many that Lakewood is more inspirational than preaching. I concur. I felt uplifted, but I didn't feel divine. I didn't feel the spirit of God, I felt more emphasis was put on the music and praying 50 times than the sermon which lasted just about 30 minutes. Or so it seemed, I didn't glance at the clock. Would I go back? ummmmmm Let me think about it.

0 comments: